Monday, February 28, 2011

Teaching Cohen a handstand


Process is slow since I've focused on building it up in stages. Plus, it takes a lot of core strength which takes time to build up.

_____

Step one is teaching your dog to target an object with their back feet.

Steps two - seven are slowly increasing the size of the object your dog is targeting.

Step eight is getting the dog to push itself up from a vertical object. It's around here that I start adding a name to the behaviour.

Step nine is working on duration.

Step ten is the finished behaviour with no wall support and longer duration.

_____


Steps eight through ten are theoretical right now, since I've not gotten there yet. I might end up changing my plan a bit if I run into trouble at some point. So far the toughest step has been one. Once I got that it was just a matter of time.

Yes, this behaviour seems almost totally pointless, but it's pretty fun and a nifty party trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment