Monday, May 14, 2012

Trial summary: getting better

In summary: 

This weekend marked one of the most successful runs we've had, Q-wise, in agility. We ran 3 times, qualified 2 times, and came damn close the other time. Maybe it was the weather, or maybe it was the nice, loopy course designs - I don't know. But I'm hoping to see more of it as we go on. 

We tend to hover around a 1/3 or 1/4 success rate. 


A shot from the trial photographer from last weekend. Cohen gets this dumb-but-happy look on her face while running. I love it!


In detail:

Sunday
First run:

Starters Standard. Q.
Judge: Shannon Teahen-Nash

We left late for the trial, so we were in a rush to get there. I was sure that we were going to miss our first run, and if we didn't, Cohen would blow it anyways with her traditional first run zoomies. We got there on time, and I did my best to keep Cohen focused on me, but quiet. It seemed to work. She may not have run her fastest, but she ran cleanly, with no mishaps on the teether, table, or with knocked bars.

The issue we keep running into these past few weeks is Cohen popping out of the weaves too early. We had to redo them 2-3 times this run. (Luckily it doesn't count as a fault at this level.) I hope to work on them heavily in class over the next few weeks.


Second run:

Starters Standard. NQ.
Judge: Shannon Teahen-Nash

This run was similar to our first - relatively smooth and clean with no knocked bars. The issue was that Cohen screwed up her weaves again (what happened to my wonderful weaving dog??) and she simple would. not. lay. down on the table. Other dogs who ran before her opted to sniff instead of doing the obstacle, so I don't feel too badly about it. Eventually she lay down, but her fooling around on that obstacle caused us to go over course time....

... by 0.75 seconds.

Ugh. I was so sure we had that run in the bag, despite our table trouble.


Third run:

Advanced Jumpers. Q.
Judge: Shannon Teahen-Nash

This was the last run of the trial, and we were all tired for it. I decided I would just... kind of run it, and see what happened. I didn't handle it very well, but we got through it cleanly. This was Cohen's first Advanced Jumpers Q! I'm looking forward to more!


No comments:

Post a Comment