Sunday, April 22, 2012

Trial summary: agility!

In brief:

AAC, Daytripper Dog Training, Port Perry, ON
4 runs total.
Qualified: 1 Starters Jumpers.
Did not qualify: 1 Starters Standards, 1 Starters Snooker and 1 Steeplechase. 
Judge: Sue Miller

In detail:

Sunday


Today I was out at an Agility competition. We did a standard run, a snooker game, a steeplechase and a jumpers run. We only qualified once - in jumpers. We're apparently really good at maintaining our 25% Q rate. 

The standard course was a starters level. Cohen was pretty high strung, and decided to make her own course up as she went along. I'm not used to her being so excited that she loses focus on me. Quite honestly, I like her enthusiasm, and once she gets a bit more accustomed to the trial atmosphere I think it'll be a huge boon. 

The snooker course was another starters level. It was the first time we played this game. It's played like snooker - you have to "sink" 3 red jumps with a coloured obstacle in between each one. Then you have to complete the closing by "sinking" obstacles 2-7 in order. Cohen was doing really well - she was speedy and I was able to call her off some pretty enticing off-course obstacles. And then I attempted a messy landing-side front cross, which caused her to knock a bar in her closing and we were whistled off. It was a shame, since we did amazingly well up to that point. 

The steeplechase is sort of a masters level game. The courses are long and flowy, and you need to complete it incredibly quickly. Cohen missed her weaves, of all things, so I decided to say "to fuck with it" and we just ran the rest of the course for fun. A couple faults, but it was a good experience. 

The jumpers run was another starters level. We've completed 2 starters jumpers previously (that's all you need to move up to the next level) but it was under the same judge, so we had to do it again. Cohen did well despite a really messy front cross that had her practically run into me. (I should know she's too fast to plan to get ahead of in a long line of jumps!) So now we get to move up to the next level of competition in this game. 

Each competition comes with its own host of interesting issues. Like, I was expecting Cohen to pop off the table, and to kamikaze off the teeter - neither of which she did. I did not expect her to blow me off and run off course, or miss her weaves. Live and learn!

I'll be out again as much as I can be this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ci Da... just happened across your blog here. I love it! Congratulations on getting your business and blog started, it's all around awesome. Check your percipient account when you have a moment.. I shot you a note on there.

    I'd drop a witty Vonnegut quote, but it might feel a little out of place. It'd be good to hear from you, anyway.

    ReplyDelete