Monday, April 16, 2012

Another weekend, another competition

This weekend was Rally weekend. I entered Cohen into two Advanced A runs. Again we qualified each time. Again we came first in our class each time. I sure hope this doesn't go to my head.

Again her heeling was sloppy around distractions (or when tired). So I ordered Silvia Trkman's heeling DVD. I'm going to be paying very close attention to its lessons in the upcoming weeks. My biggest issue with Cohen's heeling is that I didn't train a default focus for the first few steps - Cohen's head will fall as she takes her first steps, and sometimes she never offers it back up. I've wanted to polish it up for a while now, but haven't wanted to since I was worried I'd have to train it from the ground up, all over again. Now, well, to hell with it - it needs retraining.

I dream of the snappy, head up, intense heeling I see some trainers achieve. As time passes Cohen gets sloppier and sloppier - my criteria haven't been consistent I suppose. It's good enough for most people, but unfortunately I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Next weekend is agility.

No comments:

Post a Comment