Monday, February 6, 2012

Handstand!



Cohen's most impressive trick is probably her handstand. It's also taking the longest to train. It's far from finished, but it's getting there. 

It's been a long process. I think I poisoned it to a degree a while ago: when I asked for a handstand she would turn into a barking, unfocused mess. I took a few months off from working on it, and have started it up again. 

Her form still needs a bit of improvement. She's finally developing the requisite chest muscles, and she can push herself up without the help of a wall. I didn't capture it in the video below, but sometimes she's able to windmill herself up into position in a doggy cartwheel. 




So anyways, this is Cohen's handstand. My final goal is for it to become a sustained walking handstand. We're a ways off, but even now it seems to be a bit of a crowd pleaser. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm teaching my black tricolor australian shepherd to do the same trick! She also makes those little barks and grunts and whines like Cohen. Check out my blog: myaussiestella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete