Saturday, December 17, 2011

Compare and contrast

Relaxed, no? 
Loud, no?
A while ago I wrote about the byproducts of owning a dog, in which I mused about how it was the annoyingly energetic bits of Cohen which made her irritating as heck, and how they were exactly what I loved about her. It's pretty simple: energetic dogs have energy even when you don't want them to. It drives some people crazy, but I really thrive on it.

Yesterday Adrian and I were talking about how the merging of the dogs into one household was going. Both of us are stressed out (by the dogs, and life in general), and each of us are having trouble bonding with the other's dog.

Adrian said something rather interesting during our conversation. He said something to the extent of, "your bond with Cohen is intellectual, mine with Mega is because she wants nothing more than to sit in my lap all day." I think it sums up the problems both of us are having quite well. 

I'm having trouble with Mega because all she wants to do is sit in my lap, and I find that tremendously boring after about 15 minutes. She sleeps most of the day, and when she's not sleeping or sitting on your lap she's off in her own world (and possibly barking). Simply put, she's not interested in DOING anything, and I'm having trouble adapting to a dog who isn't genetically keyed in to my every mood and movement. Apparently I really need the "intellectual" aspect - 2 way communication between handler and dog.

Adrian simply doesn't have the time or energy to relate to Cohen on any sort of "intellectual" level. His desire for a dog is something to welcome you home after a long day and keep you company as you unwind with some video games. His days are already so monopolized by the stresses of work (among other things) that the additional obligation to the dog(s) is unwelcome. He keeps his distance from Cohen to keep her excitement level low so she doesn't get riled up and pose a possible threat to tinydog. He really loves his little lapdog. 

I think the photos from today sum up each of the dogs quite well. 

Tinydog wants nothing more than to lay with you.

Almost all my photos of Mega are of her sleeping, thinking about sleeping, or wishing she were sleeping.
Oh laps, how I love you so. Never leave me. 

And now the crazy starts...


BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK
HEY IS THAT A RABBIT??? I'LL JUST POP OVER THERE AND SEE.

OH HEY A MOUND OF DIRT. IMA GONNA RUN ALL OVER IT.

MORE JUMPING IN DIRT YES!
YOU'RE TALL. SEE I CAN BE TALL TOO. SORRY WAS THAT YOUR CAMERA?
Obviously there are plenty of people who would adore a tiny little low maintenance dog who lives to sit on you and worship the heat of your body. I'm one of those crazy people who relishes handling a high maintenance dog. Cohen and I had the time of our lives on our walk earlier today.

So, there are some kinks yet to be worked out with the dogs. I've had very little opportunity to work with Mega this week, since work has been crazy and I've been spending what time I have with Adrian and the demanding dog. I suspect we'll work out the kinks eventually. I think being able to take down the gates will go a long way to family cohesion, but that's still a few weeks away at least.

Today has been a good day. I managed to work Mega on the inflatable peanut I bought for Cohen, and Mega waited patiently for kibble as I worked on a new trick with Cohen (Cohen didn't wait as patiently while I worked with Mega). I've given Mega plenty of lap time, and Cohen got her 2 hour romp in the woods. Balancing the two dogs is possible... on days when I have nothing else to do.

3 comments:

  1. I totally know exactly what you mean. Even before I wanted to be a trainer, when I was around 11, I had a greyhound who was the epitome of boring. She'd lay around all day and do nothing but sleep. With Elli, that's completely switched. She has to be engaged with something most of the time -- even if it's just a chew. Otherwise it's go, go, go. I love it though, for sure.

    I'm also commenting to let you know that I've nominated you for the Liebster award. :) Instructions are on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely a go-go dog kind of girl. Mushroom, bless him, is content to sleep on the couch all day long. He'd be a very happy lapdog if you didn't mind 55 pounds in your lap. *yawn*

    I like my dogs in your face and full of action. Good thing, since I bought that Border Collie and all :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same as you,I like 'go,go,go' dogs,and Pete my boyfriend like to sit and cuddle them,which I don't really care about to much lol.
    I often joke its a good job I live with him else my poor dogs wouldn't hardly get cuddled!
    I am on a break from agility lessons for the winter and 3 of my dogs and me are B O R E D silly!!

    ReplyDelete